Marriage License

Marriage Licensing Information

  • Both parties must sign in person before the clerk
  • License is good for 60 days
  • Proof of age and identity
  • There is a 24-hour waiting period before a ceremony can be performed
  • Fee of $40
    • Payment by cash, check, or credit card
    • There is a $10 fee for each certified copy


A person is required to establish proof of age and identity by submitting to the issuing clerk one of the following age related documents:

  • Baptismal record
  • Birth certificate
  • Census record
  • Naturalization record

and one of the following identity related documents:

  • Driver's license
  • Employment picture ID
  • Immigration record
  • Passport

All foreign documentation records must be accompanied by a certified translation from a certified translator. A certified translator can be found at a local university or the consulate for the applicant's country.

If previously married, proof of how each marriage ended is required. Examples of proof include judgment of divorce or annulment documents indicating when the documents were filed with the courts (usually a stamp that says "Filed" and the date) or a death certificate.

Marriage License Forms

For more information please visit the New York State Department of Health website.